Thursday, August 22, 2019

Uphill Climb


Uphill Climb

Part of my daily rituals and routines involves my own personal devotion time.  Year ago, I was given A Guide to Prayer by Reuben Job and Norman Shawchuck.  In the book, different readings are assigned for each day, and it offers not just scriptures to read each day, but it also provides different writings – sometimes from contemporary authors, and others from early church fathers.  One thing that is consistent with the book is that it has a Psalm assigned for the week, and the reader is encouraged to read through that exact same Psalm each day of the week.  You would be amazed how when you react the exact same passage of scripture each day, it comes to life in different ways each time. 

This week, my assigned Psalm has been Psalm 127.  Psalm 127 is a part of what is known as the “Songs of Ascents.”  The Songs of Ascents (Psalms 120-134) are believed to be a collection of songs that were sung by worshippers as they ascended to Jerusalem for their feasts and special celebrations.  I recall several years ago as Jenn’s mother was fighting a battle with cancer that would ultimately take her life, I encouraged Mary Lou to pray through the Songs of Ascent.  I encouraged her to think about the worshippers as they walked up the long hill to Jerusalem, and pay attention to the words that they sang.  Sometimes in the journey, they would sing songs of lament, such as Psalm 120: “Too long has my soul had its dwelling with those who hate peace.”  Sometimes as they climbed, they would sing affirmations of faith, such as Psalm 121: “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come?  My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”  I encouraged my mother-in-law to read through these Psalms in her battle, and that whether it was a psalm of lament or thanksgiving, she would find her place in those songs.  The same holds true for all of us, no matter what battle we may be enduring or hill we may be climbing.

Again, as I previously mentioned, my Psalm this week was Psalm 127.  Reading through these verses each day (and I still have a few more to read through them) has truly reminded me of how completely dependent upon God we all are.  The psalmist reminds us that apart from God, all of our efforts in this world are vain.  I love the way that Eugene Peterson paraphrases the first two verses in The Message: “If God doesn’t build the house, the builders only build shacks.  If God doesn’t guard the city, the night watchman might as well nap.  It’s useless to rise early and go to bed late, and work your worried fingers to the bone.  Don’t you know he enjoys giving rest to those he loves?”

Maybe this week you have been facing an uphill climb, and maybe this week you have grown weary.  Perhaps this week you have felt that your efforts were all in vain.  I encourage you to read through the Songs of Ascent.  Read through these beautiful songs and hold them up to your battle.  Maybe somehow you have been fighting your battles or climbing your hill all on your own strength.  Maybe today you need to be reminded from “whence cometh my help?”  Let us all draw from our source – the One who calls us up the mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment